Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Same old, same old.


We’re creatures of habit. We like to follow routines. Wake up at the same time; eat dinner at the same time. Do your morning routine in the same fashion while getting ready. Etc.

When I came over here I viewed it as an opportunity to change things up. Try living in new ways, and get away from having things always in a certain sequence. I was determined to bring some variety into my life and not get caught up in everyday routines.

Well, it’s hard. And I quickly fell into the routines of working out at the same times doing the same exercises, having egg white omelettes and oatmeal for breakfast each morning, and going through the same order of things when I get into the office.

On Fridays, it is considered a “low battle day.” That means we can start work a little later, perhaps 9:30 or 10 a.m. instead of the usually 7 a.m. So this past Friday I decided I would change things up, go in a little later than usual, and work out in the morning. I ran the perimeter road counterclockwise instead of clockwise. I was breaking my normal routine and it was going to be a great day because of it.

Our showers are located in a large tent that has about twelve individual shower stalls. Since I was on a mission of change, I decided I would pass up the third stall on the left, my usual, and go to the fifth stall. It was going to be a great day.

I went to move the showerhead so the initial spray was directed away from my head, and the showerhead broke off. Great. So I moved to the fourth stall on the left.

I adjusted the showerhead in this one and turned on the water. It came out in a tiny, hard stream. It was like a super-soaker squirt gun stream, but really hard. I was not about to take a shower with a stinging squirt gun as my water source. So once again I moved…to the third stall on the left.

I was back in my usual place. It felt good to be there. I turned on the water. It was cold. No hot water today.

Son of a #$%&*! They better have egg whites at breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment