Monday, August 9, 2010

Getting Ready

Welcome to my blog for the duration of my mission to Kabul, Afghanistan. I'm currently in the process of getting everything ready, and there is a lot to do to say the least.

When deploying with the government, there are a lot of details that need worked out. Many vaccinations are needed, and specifics need to be followed with regards to what is/isn't allowed in Afghanistan. As I prepare to leave my home this coming Friday (8/13) my biggest concern is making sure I take care of all the details with regards to my condo, my bills, my finances, etc., so I don't have to worry about it while living on the other side of the world. Everyone, from family to friends, to even the usually less than cooperative utility companies, have been extremely helpful. Preparing to ship out has actually gone smoother than I expected.

Packing is another issue.

I need to walk the fine line of taking just enough clothing/hygiene products to get me through a week long orientation at Fort Benning, yet packing extra light since I will be receiving military issued clothing and armor....which I am to carry to and from all aircraft. So it benefits me to travel as lightly as possible, while making sure I have the necessary items to keep me comfortable. Being used to packing suits and business attire in large suitcases, rolling up clothes into a green duffle is going to take some practice.

I hope to post updates to this blog on a regular basis, however, I'm not sure yet what "regular" means. I plan to post my next post in about a week and share some of my experiences during the orientation week at Fort Benning.

No comments:

Post a Comment